|Some History About Our Home|
he original structure was built around an old two-story log cabin formerly occupied by slaves on Major Heilig farm. Dr. Moose, the local druggist, bought the property in 1882 and enlarged the house for his family. The slave house is still the center of the home. The Moose and McCarn families added to it several times during the years. The upstairs sleeping porch was added around 1909 after a son contracted tuberculosis while interning at the University of Maryland Hospital. The McCarn family converted the original back porch and well-house into a kitchen.
notable feature of the home is the octagonal pavilion with a flared witch's copper cap roof at the center of the front porch. The area under the porch was known to the children as "the Pit" and was used by Mrs. Moose to store all her flowers for the winter.
ila and Troy Barnhardt are the third and current owners of this lovely Victorian home. They purchased the home in February 1999 and have taken great pride in the renovations that are being done to restore the home. Troy is also the Mayor of Mount Pleasant.
8501 East Franklin Street, Mount Pleasant, North Carolina 28124
Reservations: 704.436.REST or 1.800.560.6143 (toll free)